[Nix-dev] Re: Hey, this looks interesting

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 12:35:17 CEST 2009

> pull upstream source straight from bleeding edge cvs, svn, git, etc
I've partially implemented this (see my mail about  run-nix-repository-manager-with-config)
However storing hashs etc should be reimplemented.

However how should this look like in general? Do we want to use this one
source of update notifications only?

Or do we want to add kind of scripting language to extract updates from
*any* kind of html page presenting download links?

eg:

mkDerivation = {
  name = "";
  src = ..

  passthru.updateChecker.python =
      ''
        import xxxx;
        print getLatest("http://xy/downloads", "*.tar.gz")
        [...]
      '';
}

or such?

Of course we can use any kind of implementation then..

Marc Weber