[Nix-dev] grub savedefault

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 18:54:31 CEST 2008

* On Sunday, September 14 2008, Marc Weber wrote:

>Maybe it could/ should be made an option ?

Instead of 'default saved' being an option, or having an option to set the
default to a specific entry, the option to toggle the savedefault command
on the default NixOs should allow all desired behavior.

>Do you want to provide a patch or shall I fix it for you?
>If you want to try and have any trouble try #nixos on freenode.

IRC ports are blocked here, so I can't join #nixos without tunneling
through something else.

>If NixOS boots till stage-2 I've implemented kind of watch dog.
>If the given shell script fails nixos will fallback to the last known
>sane configuration (this usally is the one having booted the system
>having build the failing one).  But I havent comitted it yet.
>This is totally independantn of grub though.

Hmm, that probably covers most, if not all of what the grub's fallback
thing does.

This suggestion might just be complicating the boot process, making nixos
not boot by default. For my use case, it might just be easier to call the
nixos grub from another os's grub.

Thanks,
Adam