[Nix-dev] Building Nix on Mac OS X Leopard (esp. libtoolize)

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Sun Oct 19 23:24:42 CEST 2008

I just went through the paces of building Nix from the repository sources on
Mac OS X 10.5.5. The most important hiccup that I found was that
"libtoolize" has become "glibtoolize"; so, I needed to modify
"bootstrap.sh".

This is relatively minor, but easy for someone to miss. Perhaps it should be
documented somewhere? Or, even better, "bootstrap.sh" could handle the
difference with a check for the appropriate file.

Other than the above issue, I received the following error after running
"make". Note that the error comes from the line starting with "LANG=...". I
just include the proceeding lines for context.

/usr/bin/xsltproc  --param section.autolabel 1 --param
section.label.includes.component.label 1 --param html.stylesheet
\'style.css\' --param xref.with.number.and.title 1 --param toc.section.depth
3 --param admon.style \'\' --param callout.graphics.extension \'.gif\'
--nonet --xinclude quote-literals.xsl release-notes.xml | \
          /usr/bin/xsltproc  --param section.autolabel 1 --param
section.label.includes.component.label 1 --param html.stylesheet
\'style.css\' --param xref.with.number.and.title 1 --param toc.section.depth
3 --param admon.style \'\' --param callout.graphics.extension \'.gif\'
--nonet --output NEWS.txt.tmp.html --stringparam generate.toc "article nop"
--stringparam section.autolabel.max.depth 0 --stringparam header.rule 0 \

/Users/leather/Projects/nix/nix/externals/docbook-xsl-1.74.0/html/docbook.xsl
-
Note: namesp. cut : stripped namespace before processing           Nix
Release Notes
WARNING: cannot add @xml:base to node set root element.  Relative paths may
not work.
Note: namesp. cut : processing stripped document                   Nix
Release Notes
LANG=en_US false -dump NEWS.txt.tmp.html > NEWS.txt
make[3]: *** [NEWS.txt] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm not sure why "/usr/bin/false" is being called here, but apparently, it
doesn't get called on an 2nd run of "make". At that point, it copies an
empty file and finishes.

cp ./doc/manual/NEWS.txt NEWS

Is this normal or is it an issue specific to the Mac?

Sean