[Nix-dev] NIX cache

Jeevakan Suresh Jeevakan.Suresh at macquarie.com
Tue Oct 7 01:26:21 CEST 2008

I recently set this up - I'm by no means a nix guru so take all of this
with a grain of salt.

> 1. How do I get nix-push to work with ssh/rsync/webserver - in the
> latter case what modules should I use

Nix-push comes in 2 versions. The first uses curl and HTTP PUT request
to push packages and a manifest file up to the server, the second allows
you to use file paths. I couldn't get the http put version working
(lighttpd isn't a fan of the PUT request it seems) so I simply used the
file copy version. One thing to look out for is the URLS which are
generated in the manifest file in the file copy version (they are all of
the style file://)

> 2. Is a MANIFEST automatically created by nix-push?
Yes. It is however re-written each time (something to watch out for).

> 3. Can I use rsync and generate a MANIFEST separately?
If you use the '--copy' version of nix-push, then the manifest generated
will always refer to file:// urls. So you can use rsync, but you would
have to run the manifest through sed or equivalent to change the URLs
before you rysnc away.

Hope it helps.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.