[Nix-dev] TinyCC on FreeBSD

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Nov 14 13:48:51 CET 2008

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I just noticed that the build farm failed because of TinyCC on FreeBSD:
>
>   checking pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix on i686-freebsd
>   error: while instantiating the derivation named `tinycc-0.9.24' at `/tmp/nix-build-dxjks8lw9swmy3km3zgsxiby32dziq5y-source-tarball.drv-0/vfvpbk5wqkimwb39z0mf0yxx2k611p9p-svn-export/pkgs/development/compilers/tinycc/default.nix', line 5:
>   while evaluating the derivation attribute `patchPhase' at `/tmp/nix-build-dxjks8lw9swmy3km3zgsxiby32dziq5y-source-tarball.drv-0/vfvpbk5wqkimwb39z0mf0yxx2k611p9p-svn-export/pkgs/development/compilers/tinycc/default.nix', line 14:
>   in a string concatenation:
>   attribute `glibc' missing
>
> I suppose this is a non-NixOS platform, i.e., Nix on top of a "regular"
> FreeBSD.  Does `stdenv.libc' point to the right libc in such an
> environment?  Assuming it does, does `${libc}/libexec/ld-elf.so' exist?

No, stdenv.libc is undefined on FreeBSD because we don't build our own C
library.  (Actually, it would be great if we had a pure stdenv on FreeBSD, but
we would have to figure out how to build FreeBSD's C library outside of "make
world".  Extra credit for doing the same on Mac OS X ;-)  Probably the code in
patchPhase that fixes the location of libc isn't needed on FreeBSD.