[Nix-dev] Nixos: nssModules & nssModulesPath ?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Nov 7 13:34:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 12:11:59AM +0100, Nicolas Pierron wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to put some upstart-jobs outside of
> upstart-jobs/default.nix to use the new option scheme.  I want to do
> this to remove the huge (unmaintainable) list of jobs declaration.  So
> I will use config.services.extraJobs to declare each of them in many
> files.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what I should do with
> nssModulesPath which is an argument of upstart-jobs/default.nix.  I
> suggest to put it as an "internal" option in options.nix (or an other
> file) instead of system.nix.  I don't have any idea of the purpose of
> this variable.  So do you have any suggestions, remarks, complains (1)
> ?
>
> (1): (c) Eelco Visser.

Hi Nicolas,

About nssModulesPath I've no clue. I didn't even notice that option till
now.

I guess those are the relevant lines (system/system.nix)

  # NSS modules.  Hacky!
  nssModules =
       pkgs.lib.optional config.users.ldap.enable pkgs.nss_ldap
    ++ pkgs.lib.optional config.services.avahi.nssmdns pkgs.nssmdns;

  nssModulesPath = pkgs.lib.concatStrings (pkgs.lib.intersperse ":"
    (map (mod: mod + "/lib") nssModules));

So indeed it is already part of options by using those both config
options implicitely.

You may want to have a look at new-proposal/synergy* as well.
It has been an attempt to put everything which belongs to one job into a
single file. Downside: Options will not yet be listed in the
documentation and I think it's bitrotted. At least it could server as
example for alternatives.

Marc