[Nix-dev] deb package for nix

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Tue May 20 22:08:37 CEST 2008

The easiest way to create a Debian package is, currently,
checkinstall (which depends on gettext). E.g.

apt-get install checkinstall

wget http://nixos.org/releases/nix/unstable/nix-0.12pre11815.tar.gz
tar xvzf nix-0.12pre11815.tar.gz
cd nix-*
./configure
make
checkinstall -y -D make install            # (32 bits)

checkinstall builds the package by catching all disk writes - you can
run it in user space.

The 64 bits needs a hack - the arch is not installed correctly  - I am
testing that at this point.

The current package you can download from:

  http://thebird.nl/debian/nix_0.12pre11815-1_i386.deb

Install with dpkg -i and run the initial nix-env with the path:

  /nix/bin/nix-env  (etc).

I think we can use checkinstall to make the Debian packages in the
build system. It also allows building RPMs. Downside - there is no
source package (but I think we don't need those anyway outside the
available tar balls).

Pj.