[Nix-dev] new user impressions

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Tue May 20 13:00:36 CEST 2008

Hi all.

I'm very excited with ideas of NixOS and tried to install it.

The first problem I've come across is the absence of the tools for
making internet connection (i.e. pppd, pppoe and others). Considering
not tiny size of the install CD and necessity of the internet connection
for installation to succeed, this is very strange.

Finally I've solved this problem chrooting into my Debian system and
getting connection up from there. Installation went smoothly, but in the
end there was a failure to install grub loader for some reason. Message
was something like "grub/stage1 not read", and there was no changes to
my boot loader.

I understand you probably cannot help with this obscure grub problem
(although I'd be happy if you can), but if you tell me what magic is
behind grub in NixOS I could try to boot NixOS from lilo, which I'm more
familiar with?

(Feuerbach @ IRC)

...being in love is totally punk rock...