[Nix-dev] new user / FreeBSD notes

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu May 15 09:56:03 CEST 2008

Hi James

> - On FreeBSD, you must install bash and symlink /bin/bash to it.  Is
>   there some way of bootstrapping bash on Linux?  Since bash isn't part
>   of FreeBSD's base system, it might make sense to do the same thing on
>   FreeBSD.
        "On FreeBSD, you must install bash"
        "Since bash isn't part of FreeBSD's base system"
I don't know *BSD at all. But this sounds wired. The base system is the
ainimalistic set to distribute *BSD, right ? So if you must install it
it should be part of the base system? (linux)-glibc requires /bin/sh
instead. That's the only "impure" path needed to run nix.

>   "nixpkgs_unstable" to the attribute string in this case:
>   $ nix-env -i -A nixpkgs_unstable.bash
Try #nixos on freenode :)
Another way is:
Try nix-env -iA bash -f $PATH_TO_ALL_PACKAGES_DOT_NIX
This allows you to use your customized versions of the nixpks svn repo..

> On the whole, I really like Nix so far!  Thanks Nix team.
You're welcome.
Sorry. I wasn't sure that I can give you good answers on your other
questions. So I hope someone else will do.

Marc Weber