[Nix-dev] high level Nix API

Sander van der Burg S.vanderBurg at student.TUDelft.NL
Sun May 11 23:31:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

I think it would be useful to have a high level Nix API (header/so files), which could be used to execute the high level functions (e.g. nix-env operations). I'm currently developing a Nix interface in my Masters' thesis project. The interface calls the shell commands for nix-env, but I think it would be better/cleaner to use the nix-env functions directly. With this API it could be easier to write software tools that integrate with Nix, e.g. front-ends/plugins (for e.g. a buildfarm).

I believe the RPM package manager also includes an API.

-- Sander