[Nix-dev] Re: LinuxQuestions distribution subforum for NixOS.

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Wed May 7 11:11:36 CEST 2008

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The question is what we want. For example, nix-dev archives have no
>> own search (and not too high a PR in search engines)
> `nix-dev' is mirrored and archived by Gmane (http://gmane.org/), which
> is a bidirectional NNTP/mail gateway.  So the list can be searched
> either through Gmane's web interface at http://search.gmane.org/, or
> using your favorite NNTP client.
I said own.. There is no link to Gmane on the project page. Also LQ
provides a pair of bells and whistles for quicker finding a message.

It is an interesting idea to abuse Gmane to archive NNTP groups with
short retention, though.. But I currently do not use NNTP groups.

>> The question is if we want to keep it that far from being overcrowded.
>
> Of course not.  :-)
Then we need some presence. Gmane gives little relevant presence, LQ is
more promising.

> In fact, many non-trivial things discussed on IRC could (should?) be
I think that maybe even should, but you have to break "24-hour time
quantum" stereotype. With forum I need only to prevent it from being
created. Also, I rely on thermodynamics: system tends to equally use all
the configuration space. So adding some persistent communication media
means increasing retention..

> discussed on-list, so we keep track of things (e.g., I'm pretty sure I
> had already had the answer to my firmware question at some point on IRC,
> but it just vanished).
Well, the idea of IRC logs have been rejected a few times already, and
they would not be easier to search than system/options.nix