[Nix-dev] Re: LinuxQuestions distribution subforum for NixOS.

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Wed May 7 10:12:14 CEST 2008

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> writes:
>
>> 	Today I wrote to LQ root, Jeremy, and asked what would be
>> needed to register a NixOS subforum in distributions.
>
> Personally, I don't like webish forums.  I prefer plain old mailing
The question is what we want. For example, nix-dev archives have no own
search (and not too high a PR in search engines)

> lists, which I find much easier to deal with, especially with large
I was subscribed to LKML for some time (I was reporting a bug, so I
searched for it and then subscribed not to miss some messages about
this) Well, I'd say web forum would be easier to use just because of
filtering possibilities it provides.

> amounts of messages.  There's currently a single mailing list and it's
> far from being overcrowded, so would it make sense to try to focus on
The question is if we want to keep it that far from being overcrowded.

> using the mailing list?
I'd say that most problems are discussed in IRC anyway.. And #trace
discussion leave no trace (and neither do #nixos discussions). Web
forums will be one more way of communication, it doesn't mean we will
abandon mailing list, but the one wanting to ask a question will have
one more way to go. Also, a subforum on LQ is a good chance to get some
converts from Gentoo and LFS, and I'd say that it would be good for both
testing and adding new packages.