[Nix-dev] Re: Website / SVN back up

cyril Romain c.romain at laposte.net
Tue May 6 14:57:14 CEST 2008

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> or do you want to use Git for a different purpose, e.g. introducing
>> mirrors?
>>

> I think the idea was to use Git or another DRCS as a replacement for
> Subversion, which also has the nice bonus of automatically creating
> backups of the repo (at least with Git).

Although I'm not a Nix developer and thus not the right person to take
such decision, switching to Git is IMHO not that bad!
Among the pros of Git, you have the following benefit:

1. Each developer has a local mirror of the whole project files and
history. (indeed: 'git clone' is like 'svn co' except you end up with
the whole project history)

2. it is easier to create branches, and thus test news features without
messing up with the trunk
Of course branches can be created with subversion, but it is both more
efficient and less painful with Git to create and merge branches. Ease
of branching from Git and features such as 'git stash' also enable more
'orthogonal' commits and is more suited for both development and bug
correction that can requires:
  - some weeks of development
  - off-line commits
  - developed by one or more developers (you can sync with co-worker)

3. Thanks to git-svn, you can keep a central subversion repository but
work with git. (that's what KDE developers do, in part because git is
too complex for non-developer contributors such as language translators).

Hope it helps,

  Cyril