[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: trace - 11290 - ludo - in nixos/trunk: etc system

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Mar 26 20:47:07 CET 2008

Hi,

Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> writes:

> Ludovic Courts wrote:
>> Log:
>> Add `nssModules' to `systemPathsList', add `/lib' to `systemPath', and
>> add `/var/run/current-system/sw/lib' to `LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.  This should allow
>> NSS modules to be added and taken into account by applications without
>> the need to reboot.
>
> So, we have a total /lib symlinked in one place?

Only the `/lib' from the packages listed in `systemPath'.  Currently
that represents 61 `.so' files here...

> It is destroying the library purity a bit..

Yes, although it destroy it as much as `$currentSystem/bin' destroys
purity for executables.  :-)

> Really, I think that it would be better to aggregate only NSS modules.

That'd be the best thing, but how would you achieve it?  The
`pathsToLink' attribute is coarse-grain and doesn't allow us to ask that
only `/lib' from a subset of `systemPathList' be symlinked.

BTW, this whole hack still isn't sufficient: NSS modules, somehow,
aren't visible from the `nix-worker' chroot, which makes it impossible
to build in a chroot because DNS lookups systematically fail.

What am I missing?  I was under the impression that `systemPath' was
mapped into the chroot.

Thanks,
Ludovic.