[Nix-dev] Re: GUI Frontend

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Mar 20 17:32:51 CET 2008

Hi,

"Darcy Watkins" <DWatkins at tranzeo.com>
writes:

> Anyone know of a GUI frontend for nix? ... or perhaps contemplated
> implementing a PackageKit backend for nix? ... or an update to synaptic?

PackageKit looks to me like the way to go because (theoretically) it
would allow NixOS to be usable by a number of UIs.

However, I wonder whether it's limited to "standard" deployment models.
For instance, it'd be nice to specify the same as `-b' for `nix-env'; an
equivalent of "nix-env -Ai" could be useful; a way to invoke the garbage
collector would be nice as well, etc.  Any idea how this would fit?

Thanks,
Ludovic.