[Nix-dev] Package descriptions

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Mar 20 13:50:06 CET 2008

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
writes:

> - For consistency, don't put a "." at the end of the description, and
> write it on one line, i.e.
>
>     meta = {
>       description = "A TeX distribution";
>     };
>
>   (BTW, "description" is intended for one-line descriptions on the
> Nixpkgs release page, but maybe we could also use an attribute for
> longer descriptions.)

FWIW, most of the package descriptions I've written so far are sentences
ending with a period, i.e., they look like "long descriptions" rather
than one-line descriptions.  Surely we want two separate attributes.
How about adding `longDescription'?

That said, the new attribute should be exploited by some of the tools
(web page generation?  `nix-env'?), otherwise there's little incentive
to use it.  What do you propose?

Thanks,
Ludovic.