[Nix-dev] What about globalConfig /// userConfig?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Mar 13 15:46:22 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:39:33PM +0100, Marc Weber wrote:
> We're lacking a feature:
> Every single person can choose it's version.
> However the system administrator has no chance of defining a config
> default which may be overridden by the user.
> So what about
> /etc/nixpkgs_conifg.nix ?
> which is merged with
> $HOME/.nixpkgs/config.nix ?
> in a sensible way?
>
> i84cOre has asked me how to enable adobeFlash for the system.
> The only way I know is editing all-packages.nix which is not the desired
> solution

I don't know yet wether it's easy to define sensible here..
Maybe this approach is better to use this for your private config:

{ globalSystemConfig } : {
  # your private configuration
}

Then you can inerit/ override what you want. Propably

{ globalSystemConfig } : globalConfig // {
  # your private configuration
}

What do you think?

Marc Weber