[Nix-dev] nixfs

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Mar 12 23:38:03 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:02:55PM +0100, Christof Douma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A very long time ago I thought of creating a filesystem for the nix
> store. The idea is to store only differences between similar packages.
I think you know about nix-store --optimize. It's not that advanced
though :-)
Is the chance of having duplicated files bigger in the nix store than
on a filesystem in general?
Doesn't this take much time to compare each file against all others to
find a minimal diff?
So the basic question is : What does similar mean?
I'd guess having the same filename ?

But you are right: On multiuser system there may be dozens of different
versions of the same lib because everyone has installed the application
at another point in time..

Marc Weber