[Nix-dev] Cross Compile Environment with Package Management into Staging Area

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Tue Mar 11 22:53:23 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:26 -0700, Darcy Watkins wrote:

> I'd appreciate some comments / suggestion from any who considered or
> have experimented with this.  I have found some notes related to cross
> compiling.  Has anyone taken this further yet, or proposed
> collaboration
> with Buildroot or OpenEmbedded project teams?

I wrote those notes quite a long time ago. Later on we Eelco Dolstra and
I spent some time to properly set up some cross compilation
environments, but we did not spend more time on it than a good
afternoon/evening.

One of the main concerns is building libstdc++ for a cross environment.
The way we pass some linker flags around right now breaks compilation of
libstdc++, since we link against libraries for the wrong architecture.
It is quite complex to untangle the generated Makefile, but it would be
worth it.

Once I (finally) will get some time to dig into OpenWrt again I will
look into setting up cross chains with Nix. There are already quite some
tools I grabbed from OpenWrt here and there and more are coming soon.

armijn