[Nix-dev] Re: args: with args

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Mar 11 10:17:00 CET 2008

> I have the same feeling.  This construct also makes it easy to implement
> "ambient authority" [0], where you'd just pass anything to the Nix
> expression, making it hard to determine what it really needs.
Agreed. But how to you test wether something is really needed?
I do be removing it and seeing wether it still works.
And that's done faster using args ; with args, isn't it? (my 2 cents)

About "ambient authority": agreed unless we limit arguments passed
by (import foo/bar) { < limited list > }
thus keeping at least one filter filering the global all-packages name
space. So this is indeed one point for "best practises" or a "good
style" documentation page.

Marc