[Nix-dev] Summary

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Mar 7 11:18:06 CET 2008

My implementation was not complete enough.
So propose this:

A) Add repository information to bleedingEdgeRepos (see examples)
B) access source via bleedingEdgeSource "name" (it's done this way already)
  bleedingEdgeRepos should try to get source in this order:
    1) Local .tar.gz in ${HOME}/managed_repos/dist/name.tar.gz
    2) By importing
      pkgs/misc/bleeding-edge-fetch-info/name.nix
      looking like "
      with args; fetchurl { src = "some mirror"; hash_type = "sum"; };
      "
    3) Fall back to fetch_xy given with information given by A) But
      the sum wil propably be wrong..

The source 1) can be managed by nixRepositoryManager.
nixRepositoryManager is able to upload the .tar.gz to the 2) mirrors if
you want to by --upload name or such.

The build-farm will use 2) source only (which does hopefully compile
then)

Anyone who wants can get the password to upload source files to 2)
(I can provide the host ? Or should an already existing nix_mirror be
used ?)

to be done (by me):
  Keep at least one backup of 1) if a new update fails to build for
  any reason.
  Implement --upload function of nixRepositoryManager

Do you feel comfortable with this?
Any further suggestions?

Sincerly
Marc Weber