[Nix-dev] Re: introduction nix_repository_manager

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:27:49 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 12:03:51 Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
> Can't it be transparent?  I.e., `fetchdarcs' (or `fetchgit', etc.) would
> do the following:
>
>   *  If the requested repo is not already available under
>      ~/.managed-repos, then do a full checkout.
>
>   *  If the requested repo is already available under ~/.managed-repos,
>      just do an "update".

I see 2 problems with your (Ludovic Courtès) approach:
1) You need to rewrite fetchdarcs/fetchsvn/fetchgit each time.
2) In NixOS fetch* is usually executed by nixbld1. Which ~/.managed-repos do
you want to use?

I think that the original approach is better. Does it provide some nix
function to use instead of fetch*? Or I should use fetchfile?
--
Yours Yury,
mailto: urkud.urkud at gmail.com