[Nix-dev] deb package for nix

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Sat Mar 1 13:17:42 CET 2008

Hmmm. The Debian package builder does fail on an Aterm dependency - I
guess the fakeroot build environment can not find the included
libraries:

  /var/packages/build/nix-0.11/src/libutil/aterm-map.cc:105: undefined reference to `ATunprotectArray'

Also the docbook stuff breaks.

I am going to opt to put a raw package together - from binaries - but
that leads me to a number of questions:

1. What architecture to use 386 (Debian's default) or 686 (Nix). I
have a hunch the latter is the best option.

2. If there are no real dependencies - why not opt for a binary
installation which just unpacks in /nix - can't we provide that on
the website (nix-0.11.bin) rather than, or in addition to, an .RPM
and/or .DEB?

3. Maybe we should use alien to convert the RPM to DEB - and add an
unpacker to create a BIN installer.

That would cover over 95% potential users out there.

Pj.