[Nix-dev] git repos for collaboration testing etc ...

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Jul 30 02:03:52 CEST 2008

Hi, I'd like to invite you using and have a look at some of my patches
to tell me wether you like them.. and of course you're encouraged to
upload your own branches as well..

To get them try

git clone git://mawercer.de/nixpkgs
git clone git://mawercer.de/nix
git clone git://mawercer.de/services

They are git-svn clones of the svn repositories and will be synchronized
daily soon..

a small description of my branches:

nixos:
================================
config_pkgs_arg (in use)
        in use, configuration.nix take arguments {pkgs} : now,
        see my other post (is compatible to existing)

  git-job
        my attempt to add a git-daemon job (doesn't work yet), I
        need some help here. To test it you need upstart05.

  initrd_reiserfs (in use)
        add reiserfs tools to initrd (for checking etc)
        It's a hack. This should be rewritten to be more
        configurable
laptop-mode
        attempt to add laptop-mode suport (no twell tested)

  no_kernel
        allow fileSystems = false (for user mode linux)

  reiserfs_v (in use)
        don't use -v for fsck on boot because reiserfsck doesn't like it

  stage-1-fail (in use)
        See my other post nobody did understand..
        It it switches to a shell on each error so that you can decide
        wether you want to continue or get a PID 1 shell (so that you
        can run stage-2 yourself using exec) prior to this the last
        option was default.
        drawback: it stops on kernel modules not beeing needed as well
  strace
        run strace on upstart (you need to patch upstart)..
  syslog_start_extra
        start syslogd before upstart so that you can see the -v output

  upstart05 (in use):
        don't think everything works yet.. but you can boot, run X and
        shutdown (using start sys-halt or start sys-reboot)
        you need the nixpkgs branch as well

  everything else is more temporarely and will be removed soon

nixpkgs:
=============
compress-man-info
        run gzip on man and info files (patches the generic builder!)
  ghc68 (in use)
        some patches to my ghc stuff (adding h3fs, disabling some others)
  git_patch_glob (will be added to svn soon)
        support for the newest git git version with a patch applied
        letting you highlight / find patches by path glob patterns
  laptopmode
        see above
  num_cores
        see post on mailinglist.. Be careful, It doesn't seem to work
        perfectly yet.
  s3fs (will be added to svn soon)
  uml (some patches etc to get nixos to work on my virtual server)
  uml_tun_y ( uml_mconsole support, will be merged soon)
  upstart05
        upstart-0.5 bzr branch with patch so that it even starts your
        jobs if don't have /proc/pid/oom_adj

How I'd propose to work with them:
=============

Get my git-test-merge script
$ git clone git://mawercer.de/git-test-merge
$ alias git-test-merge=gtm

#  list all availible branches
$ git-branch -a

#  pick the ones you'd like to merge
$ gtm set test_merge branch1 branch2 branch3

#  enable git-rerere (which will cache conflict resolutions)
$ git config rerere.enabled 1

#  do the test merge
$ gtm u test_merge # you can omit test_merge, the first test merge branch setting will be used

#  if there are conflicts resolve them and run
$ gtm c

It's not perfect. I feel its more flexible than stg (maybe you even want
to combine both approaches )

Marc Weber