[Nix-dev] NixOS: hardware based configuration.

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 03:58:32 CEST 2008

> One other advantage of such system is that simple expressions could be
> added and shared easily.  Another improvement no really related could
> be to have a better hardware detection and hardware constraints to
> have a stable system (e.g.: incompatible modules ...).
>
> working? Don't you think it would be great to share the practical work
> instead of comments?
Sure.. this would be cool.. But there are many ways to achive this..
A beginning has been made with the script creating an initial
cofiguration.nix file.

The computer setups would take some arguments as well:
Eg if you have a nvidia graphics card you can choose which driver to
use..
I guess in the long run we should try writing something like Xorg
has: Having a script/ program which can guess your hardware and
create a system configuration based on that (or a pc-description you're
proposing. This would be even more generic and more useful (if it works)
So each device should have a derivation called
recognizeMyself = scanPICfor "xy"; or such.. (you get what I mean)

This would help a lot and would serve as documentation (what works) and
implementation at the same time.. Not yet working hardware could be
documented as TODO's or such.
Just curious wether we should separate the os nixos from hardware
configuration by adding a new repo trace/computer-configs or such

Another config would be qemu-with-sound-and-network or such ?

I'd say go for it.
Let's see what others are saying

Marc Weber