[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 12336 - NicolasPierron - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs: development/tools/misc development/tools/misc/ddd top-level

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 11:14:31 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:00, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:
>>>   nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/development/tools/misc/ddd/default.nix
>>>   nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
>>
>> It seems that your editor wrongfully considers tabs to be equivalent to
>> 2 spaces, which is not an appropriate default (historically, tabs have
>> always been regarded as 8 spaces, by printers, etc., and most editors
>> and things like ViewVC take it as a default as well).  For Vim,
>> "set ts=8" should do the trick.  :-)
>
> Let me reiterate to please not use tabs in Nix expressions.  I even have an
> uncommited patch somewhere that turns tabs into warnings ;-)

I know, that the reason why my editor translate every typed tabs into
spaces, and why my tab key is 2 spaces large.  Unfortunately I have
copied some code from gdb and other nix expression that were using
tabs and they have not been translated by my editor.

By the way it could be interresting to have a tool to automatically
translate tabs into spaces without modifying tabs contains inside
strings.

--
Nicolas Pierron
- If you are doing something twice then you should try to do it once.