[Nix-dev] Re: warning if trying to install a package but it fails an assert.

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Dec 17 17:59:48 CET 2008

"Erick Tryzelaar"
<idadesub at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Another option would be to just ask the user what they would like to
> do. If you've already got one version installed, nix could ask if you
> want to rebuild and replace it with these options, rebuild along side
> the old one with these options, or cancel.

The whole idea of "replacing" is foreign to Nix.  :-)

IMO the Git Nix expression should really "build" what it needs (i.e.,
SVN + Perl bindings), and we should arrange so that anyone who has a
default installation of SVN doesn't need to build a new one (i.e., have
"perlBindings = true" by default).

Thanks,
Ludo'.