[Nix-dev] What to do about glibc

Erick Tryzelaar idadesub at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 17 05:39:18 CET 2008

Hello! I tried nix again after a long break, and I found it to be
working pretty well on the mac. I did run into a problem with xmlto
though. It explicitly depends on glibc for the program locale, but it
appears that glibc doesn't compile on darwin. So, it seems things like
locale would have to be wrapped just like gcc is. I did a quick
google, and on fedora 10 it lists these executables:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/10/i386/glibc-common-2.9-2.i386.html

/usr/bin/catchsegv
/usr/bin/gencat
/usr/bin/getconf
/usr/bin/getent
/usr/bin/iconv
/usr/bin/ldd
/usr/bin/lddlibc4
/usr/bin/locale
/usr/bin/localedef
/usr/bin/rpcgen
/usr/bin/sprof
/usr/bin/tzselect

My mac has:

/usr/bin/gencat
/usr/bin/iconv
/usr/bin/locale
/usr/bin/localedef
/usr/bin/rpcgen

It might be worthwhile at least wrapping those as well. Is there an
easy and established way to do this?

-e