[Nix-dev] nix-env used a lot of memory after installing psi

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 22:46:44 CEST 2008

Hello,
I'm using nix 0.12pre12409 in my gentoo system (compiled with bison
2.3 and flex 2.5.33), and I've seen a very big memory usage in nix-env
after installing the last derivation for psi-0.11. It took 1600MB of
virtual memory, while my laptop, where nix-env run, had only 1GB of
physical RAM.

I've seen some texts saying that "nix-env -qa '*'" performs the
strongest computation; I don't know how those 1600MB got used.

Any idea? I was thinking in using nix or nixos in machines with less
memory, I don't know if I those machines should be able to run 1600MB
processes.

Thank you,
Lluís.