[Nix-dev] Re: Problem installing vim-7.2-huge-X11-python-tcl.drv

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Tue Aug 12 11:10:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:42:15AM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> The entire situation is a bit of a mess.

And it will re-occur. The problem is that Nix runs on an older kernel
of the hosting system. I like Nix for being a package manager on to
Debian etc. - as this allows me to deploy software for other users,
running on another OS. But sometimes kernels miss functionality
required by later libraries. We build against new kernel headers -
and voila: inconsistency.

I think the only solution is to build packages against specific
kernel versions and their headers. So if my Debian runs Linux 2.6.8 I
should compile against the headers of 2.6.8.

Only the kernel is the real problem, as it is the only function that
is not controlled by Nix.

Pj.