[Nix-dev] Ruby-gems

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Sun Aug 3 00:25:13 CEST 2008

This can not be right!

The Ruby-gem development/interpreters/ruby/gems.nix installs the GEM
package manager for Ruby. When it installs a package it does it in the
store path of Ruby, e.g. 'gem install rake' puts files in:

/nix/store/v914ms0apfk2jbkm5kzqp4w35nbkcx1c-ruby-1.8.7-p22/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1

With files using current time stamps. In other words one package
writes directly into the store path of another. Me thinks it should do
it somewhere else, outside the store (it is the case, like with Perl
cpan and Python eggs, we have to support Ruby gems).

I just updated the ruby package - to support shared libraries and
pthreads, which is pretty much the standard. The gem package I
consider broken.

Pj.