[Nix-dev] Python/Perl/Ruby packages

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Sat Aug 2 22:56:14 CEST 2008

A question for the NIX guru's:

I am about to introduce Perl/Python/Ruby libraries to NIX (for the
BioLib project). These languages can include shared libraries, and
normally they are found in something like
/usr/lib/ruby/version/package. This setup suffers destructive updates
(ugh), but also NIX won't allow it. Building with NIX will make a new
item in the store for the package - which is good.

My question is: how do Perl/Python/Ruby programs find these paths? I
don't suppose the PYTHONPATH gets updated for the new packages. How
is it handled, for example for the Python PIL package? What is the way to
handle it transparently for the user?

Pj.