[Nix-dev] Re: Creating a BIOLOGY section

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Apr 9 15:51:41 CEST 2008

pjotr2008 at thebird.nl (Pjotr Prins) writes:

> But I would disagree it is 'commercial jargon'. We have academic
> licenses - and have to find a way to tag them as such.

The term "academic license" really *is* unclear.  Most proprietary
software vendors, such as Microsoft, have what they call "academic
licenses", which in this case means that they propose a bargain to their
academic customers (universities, labs).  But of course, this does not
change the licensing terms of the software, and it certainly doesn't
make it anything close to free (as in "freedom") or open-source
software.

Thanks,
Ludovic.