[Nix-dev] Re: Licensing policy

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Apr 9 14:38:12 CEST 2008

Hi,

pjotr2008 at thebird.nl (Pjotr Prins) writes:

> Where do I find the licensing policies?

Licensing policies of what?

Nixpkgs contains packages under all kinds of licenses, including
proprietary binary-only things.

> If a package is redistributable for academic use - what license 'type'
> do I plug in.

Currently, the `license' attribute in Nixpkgs is just a string, so it's
not normalized, although that'd be nice.

> Or always the URL (like some packages do), though I find that
> obfuscating. The license should be obvious to read.

Yes.  When the license is obviously non-free, I'd suggest `license =
"non-free"', and perhaps you can add a `licenseURL' attribute right
after for those who want to know the details.

Thanks,
Ludovic.