[Nix-dev] Re: Creating a BIOLOGY section

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Wed Apr 9 14:34:20 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:06:25PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> pjotr2008 at thebird.nl (Pjotr Prins) writes:
>
> > Updated descriptions. Note the non-commercial license.
>
> If the license scheme is along the lines of "gratis for non-commercial
> use", then it's non-free software per [0] (it violates Freedoms 0 and 2)
> and it would be better to use the string "non-free" as the `license'
> attribute IMO.

well, 'academic use' is not the same as 'non-free' - the latter more
referring to private use. I would like a distinction - as the former
is less likely to infringe on package management systems. How about
'non-free' and 'academic-free' or 'academic license'?

> It may also mean that it cannot be freely distributed, e.g., through
> Nixpkgs channels, which you may want to indicate prominently so that the
> TU Delft people don't run into troubles.

Sure. I guess I can always roll my own packages.

> If you are planning to contribute other packages, you should probably
> ask Eelco an SVN account.

Done.

Pj.