[Nix-dev] name resolution in nix packages not working

Tobias Hammerschmidt tobias.hammerschmidt at gmx.de
Fri Sep 14 15:44:23 CEST 2007

Eelco Dolstra schrieb:
> Tobias Hammerschmidt wrote:
>
>> I attached the complete strace -- the part you mentioned looks like this:
>
> I think the problem is in here:
>
> open("/nix/store/brba7k7qrpk7r8qnha6hf1pr46rkmvzc-glibc-2.5/lib/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2",
> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> Don't know what mdns4_minimal is, but our Glibc doesn't have it.  This is
> probably defined in /etc/nsswitch.conf, which normally has a line like
>
> hosts:          files dns
>
> but in your case probably lists mdns4_minimal as well.  Maybe you don't need it?
>
> The alternative is to turn "nscd" *on*, that way the system-wide nscd daemon
> (which *will* be able to find the libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2 from the system
> Glibc) will be used for all name lookups.

Thanks that helped! In Debian /etc/nsswitch.conf looks by default like that:
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

After changing the line
"hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4"
"hosts:          dns"
everything works fine. Thanks again for your fast help!