[Nix-dev] name resolution in nix packages not working

Eelco Dolstra eelco at cs.uu.nl
Fri Sep 14 15:08:48 CEST 2007

Tobias Hammerschmidt wrote:

> Hm strange I'm unable to install curl from Nixpkgs. This is the output
> when running nix-env -i curl:
> curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'nix.cs.uu.nl'
>
> trying http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.16.2.tar.bz2
>
> curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'curl.haxx.se'

Doh! Here's it's using a curl from Nixpkgs, so if there is some problem with
resolving then that curl won't work.  (OTOH, "download-using-manifests" uses
whatever curl Nix's configure script detected, probably /usr/bin/curl.)

In any case, you already have a curl:
/nix/store/ipqqrbwm3n9m15vny2kipx40pj25ahml-curl-7.16.2/bin/curl, you can do the
strace on that one.

(I don't quite understand why it would try to download the curl tarball though...)

--
Eelco Dolstra | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~eelco