[Nix-dev] beeing new to nix - Hello various questions

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Mar 7 20:28:15 CET 2007

Hi. Duncan has pointed me to this astonishing project.

I was able to compile it and get some of binary packages which worked fine.

How do you think about windows support?
Distributing something like cygwin this way would be really nice.

Where can I find the repositories containing all build instructions?
I'd like to add wmii which is a really great small window manager.

Is there already a strategy for installing more than one version of some package?
Something like java-config of gentoo?

When writing small scripts (bash /perl / python ...) and using the shabeng line:
Would it make sense to also support env (which might select the lates availible version)
Or do I need to package them and reinstall because I have another bash version
(which isn't that expensive when using the serialized binary updates..)

The bootable CD does contain two files I noticed:
./nix/store/wxjsylln5fcmk196mzpv6nfgz22866ak-stdenv-linux/setup:PATH=$_PATH${_PATH:+:}$PATH
./nix/store/xbs5wiwils6s6lxq773x0mg4ynav2q27-activate-configuration.sh:for i in /nix/store/kwfbggmibkx6i3jh8y4vrnrb0s176gz7-coreutils-6.7 /nix/store/4gqrgld23zm9bsas9h4xi3bs9q8vjn61-gnugrep-2.5.1a /nix/store/mjac8mvkd9jnhavpx7bxs71h2026hsh0-findutils-4.2.29 /nix/store/im276akmsrhvgh9hmbxmcwrsifmbsh2g-glibc-2.5 /nix/store/glgy0651jjdgnqb9hx8arcbzv48yrd8n-pwdutils-3.1.3; do PATH=$PATH:$i/bin:$i/sbin; done
Are these the files beeing sourced on startup to set environment variables?

I'm still feeling lost. But this is due to having investigated to less time reading the manual yet ;)

Great work!
Marc Weber