[Nix-dev] Re: Per-user package installations

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Wed Aug 22 19:11:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra <eelco at cs.uu.nl> writes:

> Nix-env certainly doesn't require root access, if Nix is configured in the right
> way.  (And "the right way" isn't documented yet, but NixOS is set up that way -
> any user can install software.  I'll update the manual for the Nix 0.11 release
> soon.)

Then I'll stay tuned.  ;-)

> In principle nix-channel could also work per user - the only problem is that
> nix-channel does a nix-pull to get a list of pre-built binaries, and that's a
> privileged operation that only root can do.  The reason for this is that
> otherwise a user could register some bogus binary that doesn't correspond to its
> purported derivation (the source build action from which the binary was
> supposedly produced).  Building from source is safe because users cannot
> influence builds (they're executed under a different, unique uid).

Does skipping `nix-pull' mean building from source, at least in the
event where no list of pre-built store paths is already available?

> There is a paper about the Nix security model:
>
>   http://people.cs.uu.nl/eelco/pubs/secsharing-ase2005-final.pdf

Thanks for pointing it out.

> The current model is described in section 3.

Does `nix-env -i' actually asks a daemon running as the global Nix user
to "build" on its behalf, as described in Section 3?

I guess I'm not yet very familiar with Nix...

Thanks,
Ludovic.