[Nix-dev] Re: [Zero-install-devel] Nix

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:40:43 CEST 2007

On 4/2/07, Eelco Dolstra <eelco at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Leonard wrote:
[...]
> >  http://0install.net/links.html

> Thanks (also for your piece on OSNews), we should definitely add a links page :-)

Great, thanks. I've made some minor updates to our page with your
suggestions too.

[...]
> The tricky part is that you cannot know the hash in
> advance but you do need to provide it as a --prefix, which the paper solves by
> filling in a temporary "hash" and rewriting it later on with the actual hash
> (and amazingly, this actually works ;-) ).

Sounds a bit like Joachim's 'relocation' table proposed a couple of years ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.zero-install.devel/882/focus=882

I never got around to implementing it, though. One problem for us (but
not for you ;-) is that people often install Zero Install non-root
(e.g. in their university account), and there we can't predict the
location of the cache directory because it's under $HOME.

(Klik has yet another approach to this, which involves cd'ing to the
directory first and using relative paths everywhere... of course that
causes a number of other problems elsewhere)

> For instance, multiple channels don't collide
> with each other, and anybody can make a channel.

That's good to know. Can a package in one channel depend on a package
in another?

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net