[Nix-dev] Nix problem

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Fri Apr 21 12:04:56 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 03:11:59PM +0200, Merijn de Jonge wrote:

> > > I bought an NSLU2 device, which is really cool. I installed unslung on
> > it,
> > > and I'm now trying to run nix on it.
> >
> > Hm, which has a severely limited amount of RAM. It could be that Berkeley
> > DB is just running out of RAM.
>

> 32Mb. With Unslung, only a very minimal ramdisk is required. Do you really
> think
> this is too little?

Well, if you really intend to run Nix on it and then try installing software
with it, it might fail. Eelco, please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't
there cases where Nix would read in the whole package in RAM (binary
patching)?

To be honest, I think you would be far better off cross compiling software
on a fast machine for the NSLU2 (sidenote: did you mod it to make it run
at 266 MHz instead of 133 MHz?). If you cross compile with Nix you can
still have all (or most) of the purity that Nix gives you. In Nixpkgs there
are a few cross compilers and packages. I'm running some applications
compiled completely with Nix successfully on my HP Jornada 820, which is
StrongARM based.

armijn