[Nix-dev] building NixOS inside NixOS

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Wed Aug 31 12:21:22 CEST 2005

hi,

just so that history records this (this is being archived, IRC is not),
I just successfully built and installed NixOS from NixOS. I had to make a
few adaptions to get the scripts to work:

- cpio options have changed between cpio 2.5 (used on my workstations) and
2.6 (used inside NixOS). There is a "-c" flag (probably short for
"compatibility" or so, how ironic) which I used, but which means different
things in different versions of cpio. Worked around this by using "-H newc"
- cdrtools needs a group and user "bin" to build properly. Still need to
look into this.
- make-disk.sh had a hardcoded path to Nix, namely /nix. This is dynamic
now too.

Some of the issues that are open:

- during the build of syslinux stuff gets dumped in /usr/lib.

This is not a complete test. NixOS is reusing the same stuff that was built
on my workstation, because stdenv has not changed and it didn't have to be
rebuilt. However, many tools are used from the Nix store now and not from
/bin, /usr/bin, etc.

But still, another milestone has been reached :)

armijn