[Nix-dev] Nix suid problems

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Tue Nov 9 11:10:57 CET 2004

hi,

well, not much of a problem, but more of a warning. When running Nix in
suid mode some things don't work well anymore. Dumping the store is a
bit tricky with some packages, in my case glibc.

This is needed for building the UML for NixOS. It barfs with:

error: opening file
`/nix/store/f447029d6a08995eab1b66f8c781fb2a-glibc-2.3.3/libexec/pt_chown':
Permission denied
error: unexpected end-of-file

this file is readable for the owner only, which in this case is the user
"nix", because Nix is running suid. Is there a solution planned, or
should I just either keep changing the store and/or my builder?

armijn